*Note: Colcannon is a dish of Irish origin that is made of mashed potatoes and either cabbage or kale. Our three-greens mixture, Southern Greens, is used in this version to give it a Southern U.S. twist. If you feel that the name Colcannon is too obscure, you could call it Southern Greens Mashed Potatoes!
Serves: 30 mins
- • 3 lbs. white potatoes, cut in two-inch chunks
- • Salt
- • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- • 16 oz. chopped Southern Greens blend
- • ½ cup chopped red onions (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- • ½ to ¾ cups milk
- ) Put the potatoes in a large pot with 2 teaspoons of salt and enough cold water to cover them. Place the pot over high heat and partially cover it. Bring to a boil. Remove cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes in a colander and let them rest there.
- ) To the drained pot, add the olive oil and set it over medium heat until heated. Add the mixed greens and ½ teaspoon of salt. Use tongs to stir until it is wilted, 3-4 minutes. Add the red onions and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- ) Add the drained potatoes to the greens and mash well. Stir in ½ cup of milk. Add more milk to make it more moist and more salt if desired.